Saturday, November 19, 2005

My Run-in with a Drunk at Mcdonald's

Sometimes it takes a drunk to make you really trust in God. In that case, I was looking more at the storm rather than Jesus. I should have looked totally to Jesus.

Me and Carol had a sudden urge to go to Macca's (Aussie for Mcdonald's) at 2am last night.

The 24 hour one was closed but the drive through was still open. While we got into the car to drive to the drive-through a guy drove up and parked right next to my car. His window was open and I wanted to tell him "Hey mate! It's not open!". Then something in the way he was looking was really off. He just stared at me in a disjointed way. In a reflex action I central-locked all my doors. In the next split-second he got out of the car and FELL on my side of the door. I immediately drove off towards the drive-through. I later saw him take the long cut to the drive through and come up behind me in the queue.

Me and Carol eyed him through the rear-view mirror out of the corners of our eyes. He seemed to be talking to the air around him, at times he would come out of his seat holding a bottle of booze and talk to the air again or gesture and shout random things to the cars behind him. He got more agitated because the line was long and he started sounding his horn and making louder noises to the staff in front.

And then it hit me. His CAR hit MY car from behind. I was like "What the?!". From the rear-view mirror he looked suitably sorry for himself, waving his arms in the air, holding his head in frustration. Maybe he was thinking "How could I have done that?" or "Oh no this isn't even MY car!Mum/Dad will have me for this!". I calmly told Carol whom I knew carried her handphone with her EVERYWHERE to please call the police. And she didn't have her phone on her. Right.

I then prayed asking God to protect me, Carol and my car. I also asked God to make sure that guy got home safely without hurting anyone else on the road.

When we got to our turn to order the Asian guy at the counter dropped a coin on the ground when he returned the change to me. I was reluctant to open my door to get it then did it in a flash. We warned him about the drunk behind, counter-guy didn't look very fazed at all. He said "If he gets aggro (Aussie for aggressive) I'll lock my window". Right.

We got our food, Carol got her Happy Meal Care Bear and e were off. A police van drove off just in front of us. I should have honked or something to get their attention. That guy shouldn't have been on the road. He couldn't even stand properly.

On the way home my car felt just slightly LOOSER than normal. Especially the accelerator. I guess the jolt pushed something out of alignment. I'll go get that checked out the next time my car has to be serviced. My car can still function thank God. And nothing worse happened to me, Carol or my car.

Somehow I'm quite thankful alcohol is so expensive in Singapore.

In that whole incident I wanted to look to Jesus fully, not at the stormy incident going on, but my human heart was stuck fairly fast in the danger of the situation. Sometimes it takes something like that to remember Jesus is always there for me, asking me to keep my eyes focused on him. Once I let go of my gaze the storm seemed to overpower everything else, and Jesus' power didn't seem to be there anymore even though He was there in the storm the whole time. I was looking at the storm most of the time instead of Him, and I was falling deeper into the murky water because I did not see that Jesus was there within arms reach to pull me out of it.

Another lesson learnt in this journey called faith.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sharon :)
glad to know ur alrite! *BIG HUGZ*
that drunk shouldnt even be on the road! if u drink dun drive! bad man! hahahaha

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home