Sunday, May 21, 2006

Veterinary Work Related Nerve Compression (PG)

Been Up Too Many Animals' Behinds

As part of my reproduction and obstetrics rotations, my right arm mainly has been up bull's, cow's and "phantom" cow's behinds.

Apparently the long hours have compressed the nerve in my right arm and caused some numbness, tingling and pain. The animals like to constrict their anus against my arm, stopping most of the circulation. My problem is I stay in an animal to feel for what I have to feel even when my arm is so numb. Then when I come out I don't rest for long enough between animals before going in again. I like to take every oppurtunity possible to gain experience in pregnancy testing. I stick with the same arm too long as it is a bit of a hassle to change gloves between animals. Maybe I'm more susceptible to the compression because my arm is smaller.

Down to the Murdoch chiropratic clinic! They gave me microcurrent therapy, I didn't feel a thing, but felt much better afterwards. Apparently I shouldn't be stuck inside animal behinds that long. I should try using my left hand as well and resting more in between.

2 Comments:

Blogger Min said...

YO sharon..I didn't know that your arm was suffering from compressive pressures of rectal muscles! Hope they recover fully for the rest of the period we get a rest from those stupid butts. U're probably not the only one.. Val got petechiae-like spots on her hands from mare palpation. Don't tell me we're that delicate and sensitive?!? :(

Got bored from writing surgery report... so decided to check out your blog :) Your contents are what I would like to have written in mine, but I am too lazy to write in detail after each prac! SO next time if i want to let my friends know what i'm doing, i know whose blog to refer them to ;P

'Happy' studying! - Jmin

5:31 AM  
Blogger Min said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home