Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The pig practical exam went slightly better? Partially because we weren't asked to do much.

Temperature taking should be filmed and sent to funniest home videos. Trying to stick something up the butt of a moving object is not easy and really comical if I didn't have to do it. Looking at my watch to time the temperature resulted in the pig moving away from the thermometer so I resorted to self-timing in my head following the pig the whole time. I should get a nurse's watch. I got a bonus faeces sample as well for my effort. How nice.

Intramuscular injection was a lark. I guess the pigs had wised up to what was going on by the second day of exams and run far and fast when they see a needle coming. I administered half and the pig squealed bloody murder and ran. I hope Ross didn't see that. I administered the rest with not much problem.

Blood taking was nice. Maybe it was because I chose a large skinny pig. It was the first time sticking a needle into a piglet's chest to get blood that I succeeded without much problem. It sounds painful but most of the time the animals don't even seem to know theres a needle in them! They make more noise before (because they are outraged that they are caught) and after (because they are happy to be free) the deed.

And that was it for pigs!

I still don't feel I got educated enough on both species. I wish there were more practs. I want to master these things, not just know them casually.

Overall I think it went ok, despite how inadequate I felt. God makes the inadequate adequate! = )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home